Tuesday 16th August, 2016. 9.54am.
The mutilated remains of at least 20 people have been found within the debris of the Oakleaf Facility, which burnt down early on Sunday morning.
Local law enforcement, in conjunction with Fire and Rescue Victoria, made the grisly discovery early this morning, when detectives were finally allowed onto grounds which had previously been deemed ‘unstable’ by fire officials.
According to long-time fireman Benny Garrett, who was one of the first at the scene, the investigations crew got more than they bargained for while sifting through the ashes.
“We went in expecting the usual tragedy, you know, the remains of people caught in the blaze…those who had asphyxiated…but this…this was a nightmare…I’ve never seen anything like it!”
Mr Garrett told reporters that the bodies found in the rubble were largely dismembered, in some cases missing all limbs and extremities, and that someone had removed their heads and lined them up along the main hallway.
“Like some sort of lunatics idea of an audience…” Mr Garrett added.
Further investigation seemed to indicate that many of the victims had been fleeing at the time of their attack.
“The pattern of wounds we’re seeing suggest that most of these people died trying to get away from whomever ultimately cut them down, if you’ll pardon the expression. There were slashes and lacerations to the back and legs…in some cases on the hands and arms, it would appear that some of them tried to defend themselves…”
“I’ve never seen anything so horrifying in all my life, and I’ve been on the job a long time…” a police officer, who asked not to be named, told us, “There was blood up the walls and across the floor, someone literally stalked these poor people through the halls until they were either caught or collapsed from the smoke…”
The investigations unit is yet to confirm whether the massacre was in conjunction with or as a result of the as-yet still unexplained fire…though reports are starting to come in that officials have ruled out the possibility that the blaze was lit accidentally.
“There’s a pretty high chance, given then evidence we’ve gathered, that this was arson. The fire seems to have started in the new Braidleigh wing in one of the smaller rooms…we’re not sure what accelerants were used as yet but it’s safe to say that this was an intentional incident.”
The remains of the dead have been seized by forensics for further analysis and identification. Of the survivors, Nurse Janet Brown remains on life support in the Alfred Hospital. Doctor Claudia Monére and Jasper Baelian Black were released yesterday with minor burns and mild smoke inhalation symptoms, but were mostly and blessedly unharmed.
More news as it develops.
All characters and story lines remain the property of N.Ristovski and the Underground. All character writings within the Underground are fictitious. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. Copyright © 2016. Natalie Ristovski.